The story of how the “Beastie Labyrinth” was concieved and built

 

Beastie’s Labyrinth began with just three pallets, base of the Bear Tower ( the tower sticking up in the middle, refer to the map on my sculpture portfolio page) I started around the of October 2010- the beginning of November 2010. Construction was very slow because I was still finding my wooden pallets wherever I could around the City Central. It was very difficult to find any with out any wee on them….

The base started out in the middle of the stage in studio LG01. Then it was moved to the edge of the stage on the right side, just so the tower could lean on the railing of MG mezzanine railing.

By the first move, I had gotten very good at pulling apart pallets without breaking them, it took practice!

I had no definite plans, I just knew I wanted to build a tunnel or a tower which could be climbable creating a mini environment separate from the clinical studio, a kind of play space people and ithe imaginations could be involved with.

October and November 2010


February 2011

By February ( after the Winter holidays and being home in the States for around a month)  I had built some temporary scaffolding inside the the tower so i could continue building up. I was still scavenging for pallets, once again making the building process very slow. I had also begun filling in the back and putting bracing inside. at this point I knew I wanted restricted view from outside to inside but peek holes from the inside out.

The biggest change changing the direction of my installation took place at the end of March, I had to cut off the Hold ( refer to map on sculpture portfolio page)I had to take off the roof and cut it back, then  later I was told it was allowed to come out a bit further so I built the roof including the Front Tunnel.

I also found that I could get as many free pallets from Foyles Book shop as I needed so I was building at full speed!

I then designed and built the Julika Plateau ( below)  ( refer to Map)

 

 

structural photograph of the Julika Plateau

Illustration of design for the Julika Plateau

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also started painting little beasts all over the installation

 

 

Paintings of beasties on the Beastie Labyrinth

Close up of painting on the Beastie Labyrinth

detail of painting on the labyrinth

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

April I formed the front tunnel, and drew the map for how I envisioned the labyrinth to grow. It looks the same as the map on the sculpture portfolio page.

 

 

 

 

 

Overhead view showing wood storage on the side and roof construction

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In this picture you can see the  storage place for wood along the side of the hold to keep my work space tidy. Note also the roof taking form over the front tunnel and the Julika Plateau at the top of the tower.

I measured the walls on the inside of the labyrinth where I wanted clay, and cut chicken wire to fit. Then I stapled it on.

 

Stapeling on the chicken wire for the cob to stick to

Mixing the cob

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once I got the clay in and started mixing it with straw to help it to stick to the chicken wire I stapeled to the walls, I was able to begin the interior and the whole installation really came together quite quickly!

Applying the cob to the walls

 

I textured the walls, built little houses into the walls, and objects I had collected and made. I also put some illustrations into the Entrance room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PROBLEMS and HOW I SOLVED THEM:

-Debates on whether or not I would have The country bear view point, eventually my tutor Naomi and classmate, Julika agreed to have it go through Julika’s space. It was very very kind of her as it changed the movement though her installation, but we decided that the country bear view point was necessary for the sucess of my installation.

– Health and safety shut down my piece very early on and told me I could not have the public go through my installation and I was not allowed to climb it, also that it was a constricted space so it was then that I built the second exit ( can be seen as a door from the external shots)I carefully planned when the tutors and staff were in and out of the building….

– Originally instead of rice paper I was going to use bees wax panels to create a warm glow and scent throughout the whole piece but health and safety rulled this out because technically bees wax is a fuel… and if someone were to somehow light my installation on fire god forbid it would burn down….

-sourcing materials, I got pallets from Foyles Book shop around the corner, they had well over 100 I could use. I phoned excavation companies and found sites digging out basements in on victorian houses. There is clay six feet under most of the city of London’s soil! I did have to move over 2,000 lbs of clay, transport was no easy task!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.